Jimmy’s CornerBy Jimmy Couvillion
As some of you may remember I emailed that the Sheriff’s propositions on the Bond Commission Agenda were new taxes. A mistake on my part! That information came from reading the State Bond Commission agenda because the word renewal was not included. It was explained by the Sheriff’s Office that from a legal position the proposition could not include the word “renewal” because the propositions were a net reduction in mills by .99 mills, so the word renewal could not be placed into the proposition language.
I have learned from this experience and will try not to make the same mistake again… Today I got an email from the Bond Commission, an agenda for the Feb. 16, 2012 Meeting.
Here again no word “renewal” can be found in any of these propositions. The Sheriff is out explaining what his propositions mean. The Parish Commission members are not out of the starting blocks. Below is a “copy and paste” from the agenda. They look like renewals to me and anyone else who just reads the words, but the word “renewal” is nowhere to be seen. I have separated each proposition. What is a renewal mill? It is a mill that was approved by the voters in these cases 10 years ago, that may or may not have been rolled backwards to adjust for increases in assessment values every four years. These renewals are for another 10 years 2014-2023 without the word “renewal“. This is a four-year and your assessments on your property may or may not be subject to increases. If you get a decrease in assessed value please let me know. It will make me feel better.
Caddo Fire District 7 is another ambiguous proposition. It is only for salaries and uniforms and equipment. Voters in this district must guess all of the other expenses incurred by other fire districts in Caddo are not to be covered by this proposition or did the District save a bunch of words. Do they have other mills besides this one? Is it a renewal or a new tax? What covers the other operational expenses? This is for the voters in Fire District 7 to ponder.
Do the propositions to be voted on in April have the same words as those written on the Bond Commission agenda? This is what is on the agenda of the Bond Commission. Will it be the same on the propositions we read before or just before we vote? Will someone in authority tell us what the words that are written should have said or what they really mean?
Can you take this disrespect lying down and simply follow the rest or should someone in the meetings to be held, to tell you what they say, be told a thing or two. Speak Up!
This is a learning process. But, why can’t government write clear meaningful words? When you get in the voting booth are you going to accept what an elected or appointed official says the words mean, or what they don’t mean or actually what they mean and don’t say?
From the Bond Commission filing:
L12-047 – Caddo Parish Commission –
(1) 4.74 mills tax, 10 years, 2014-2023, acquiring, equipping, constructing, improving, maintaining and operating (including acquisition of library books, material and equipment) the public library system, including branches;
(2) 4.66 mills tax, 10 years, 2014-2023, (a) 4.21 mills dedicated to maintaining and operating (including acquisition of library books, materials and equipment) the public library system and (b) 0.45 mills dedicated to the payment of mandated costs of the Criminal Justice System;
(3) 5.52 mills tax, 10 years, 2014-2023, (a) 5.10 mills dedicated to maintaining, equipping and operating Parish Detention Facilities and (b) 0.42 mills dedicated to the payment of mandated costs of the Criminal Justice System;
(4) 5.96 mills tax, 10 years, 2014-2023, (a) maintaining, operating and repairing roadways, bridges, garbage disposal and industrial waste facilities, surface water drains and drainage facilities and (b) payment of mandated costs of the Criminal Justice System;
(5) 1.30 mills tax, 10 years, 2014-2023, (a) 1.09 mills dedicated to maintaining and operating public health units, mosquito and rodent control units, and animal control facilities and (b) 0.21 mills dedicated to the payment of mandated costs of the Criminal Justice System.
13. L12-051 – Caddo Parish, Fire District No. 7 – 10 mills tax, 10 years, 2014-2023, (1) hiring full time firefighters and paying salaries and related benefits and (2) providing an allowance for uniforms and equipment.
14. L12-046 – Caddo Parish, North Caddo Hospital Service District – 1% sales tax, 25 years, (1) constructing, acquiring, extending, operating, maintaining and/or improving hospital facilities